[Hidden-tech] Motion-detectors, camera suggestions, safety

James Triplett jm-hiddentech at vj8.net
Wed Dec 30 13:29:35 EST 2009

On (30/12/09 10:01), Owen Freeman-Daniels wrote:
> From: Owen Freeman-Daniels <owenfd at gmail.com>
> Date: Wed, 30 Dec 2009 10:01:23 -0500
> To: Hidden-discuss at lists.hidden-tech.net
> Subject: [Hidden-tech] Motion-detectors, camera suggestions, safety
>
>    ** Be sure to fill out the survey/skills inventory in the member's area.
>    ** If you did, we all thank you.
>

> In light of the recent fires that have taken place in Northampton that are
> suspected arson, there has been much chatter about the installation of
> motion-detecting flood lights on the porches and homes of Northampton
> residents. Another suggestion has been the use of video cameras running
> during the night. Some are talking about positioning them inside their homes
> looking outward, others are talking about setting them up on their
> properties looking into the street.

There are lots of day/night capable video cameras available, here is an example of one
on EBay:
http://cgi.ebay.com/48-LEDs-IR-sharp-CCD-Wateproof-Color-CCTV-Camera-420TVL_W0QQitemZ250554474377QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item3a5635df89

At my house, I connect this to an Internet server box that turns it into an Internet capable
device, such as this one:

http://www.geeks.com/details.asp?invtid=BLK-9100A-PLUS-N&cat=VID

The server box has built in motion detection, and emails me a picture whenever there is a change
in what it sees.  The particular one mentioned above is pretty low budget, and though it's adequate
to the task, I'd recommend finding one a little fancier.

Cost:  camera $50,   server box $75-200, plus some installation work.

good luck
James