[Hidden-tech] Post Powerpoint

Craig Sinclair media at actvamherst.com
Wed Dec 16 13:33:02 EST 2009

<<I just read all the H-T thoughts on PowerPoint, spurred some of my
own on a different tilt>>

Hey Everyone

I've never been a fan of PowerPoint or its ilk, but then I’ve never
especially liked the idea of lecturing with slides, perhaps more
because of the way people do this rather than the technology itself.
To whit, at one teaching workshop I went to we were given handouts -
that duplicated the overhead projection- and then lectured t. The
first bullet point on the handout detailed the worst way to teach:
"Handouts and Lecturing"

As this mode of address is so prevalent maybe we can all try our best
to wrest it back and make it more innovative and involving.  This may
be why Pecha Kucha and the Ignite Talks are so popular. I was lucky
enough to present at Ignite Amherst and it felt rather like PowerPoint
performance art (both as presenter and audience member), partly
because of the concept, but then that concept is largely to loosen up
the perceived rules of PowerPoint address.

As with many cases in the technological world humans are not always
the active agent; does a person always use a tool or does the tool
sometimes use the person?  This could be because of inclination,
training, understanding, time etc., but it can also be just an
accepted ubiquity in the face of doing something more revolutionary or
interesting.

I hope some more of you will be able to join in the next Ignite Talks
to show how you have challenged the PowerPoint paradigm.

Cheers

Craig

Ignite Amherst: http://www.youtube.com/user/AmherstMedia

Facebook: http://tinyurl.com/igniteamherst