[Hidden-tech] Cognitive slant of software

Andy Klapper andytk at charter.net
Sat Dec 12 14:59:39 EST 2009

Don't blame Microsoft.  Twenty years ago a friend of mine told a story about
going into an elevator at Yale and hearing a physics professor say "I
remember when physicists used to do physics, now all they do is play around
with damn fonts!"  Given the time and location the grad student in question
was probably using LaTeX on a UNIX box.

If we had records from the stone age I suspect we'd have a record of
somebody complaining about somebody spending too much time making the spear
shaft pretty and not spending enough time on the tip.  Not saying that they
shouldn't have spent more time on the tip, just saying I think this is an
issue of human nature that extends well beyond software.

Andy.