[Hidden-tech] PR OPP - Topic is protecting your cell phone data

ussailis at shaysnet.com ussailis at shaysnet.com
Fri Dec 11 14:38:20 EST 2009

Looks like there must be a previous patent issued, since Claims 1 thru 15
are withdrawn, and the Claims left only have to do with the use of a form
of cradle. Not too useful if the phone was stolen before some code was
entered that would allow erasure.

I quickly looked at the patent itself, and was dismayed to see that they
were trying to disable, or lock-out the phone. Memory disabled or
locked-out is still readable. The thief only has to enable it or undo the
lock, which may be simple once the thief has the Smartcard in hand (that
is, not in the phone, but in a circuit designed to read it)

I am always amazed at the protection stuff out there that Uncle Sugar (the
FBI for example) defeats in a heartbeat. If they can do it, why can't
someone in Eastern Europe that only has time on their hands.

There are two ways that I think should work:

1. Erase the memory and then enter fully random ones and zeros into every
bit, or
2. Tell the phone to place an excessive voltage or current into the memory
that burns it out fully. Simply 'destroying' the chip might result in only
a partial memory erasure.

In my opinion, anything else can be read, because the reader has time on
his side.

Jim Ussailis