[Hidden-tech] Cognitive slant of software (was: Re: Microsoft Office suite vs. other options)

Shel Horowitz shel at frugalfun.com
Fri Dec 11 11:44:36 EST 2009

>The point that we and Edward Tufte were making is that each of these design
>tools have an inherent "cognitive style" -- a specific built-in approach to
>using information to solve problems -- and a user interface that encourages
>certain sorts of thinking, problem-solving, and design decisions, and
>discourages others.

There are some basic rules of effective ppt, the most obvious which
is not to jam your slides with 200 words! With 50 or fewer words per
slide, it can be a very useful tool. I think I typically have fewer
than 30 words on my slides. Sometimes only 6 or so. And of course,
presenters who read their slides verbatim and in a monotone should be
hooted off stage.

I like that Roger pointed out the cognitive framework. I happen to
think a lot like Word and PowerPoint. Just this morning, I had an
insight that I'm suddenly able to design much nicer fliers and other
graphic documents because I've started to use Apple's Pages, which is
a lot more intuitive to me than Quark or PageMaker or Illustrator--it
thinks about how a writer (moi) might approach design, rather than
how a designer would do it. For years, I'd been doing fliers in Word,
because it thinks the way I do. They were serviceable but far from
gorgeous. With this new tool, I can do very much nicer work, with
close to zero learning curve. While some of the features are not
particularly intuitive and I wish for more keyboard shortcuts, the
program doesn't get in the way of my design.

Shel Horowitz - 413-586-2388/ shel at frugalfun.com
-->Join the Business Ethics Pledge - Ten Years to Change the World,
One Signature at a Time  (please tell your friends)
<http://www.business-ethics-pledge.org>
Marketing consulting * copywriting * publishing assistance * speaking
How to market ethically/effectively: http://www.frugalmarketing.com
Ethics Blog:  http://www.principledprofit.com/good-business-blog/
Books: http://www.frugalmarketing.com/shop.html