[Hidden-tech] Beware the Facebook thingy-dingy... Problems await

Michael Billingsley michaelb at sover.net
Wed Dec 9 16:18:35 EST 2009

Hi Everyone

I know this isn't likely your area of expertise, but you might know
somebody in computer security (or cyber-terrorism) so please pass
this along.

There might be a very new slave-bot operation starting right now, out
of server 193.219.117.80 - 99 (Grigorescu, Romania).

The operation is disguised as a Facebook Login Update
implementation... very slick.  Facebook users will get an email
saying "In an effort to make your online experience safer and more
enjoyable, Facebook will be implementing a new login system that will
affect all Facebook users."

The perpetrators are using TeamViewer remote access to breach
firewalls and slave unsecured PC's and Macs.   Blatant... and if you
don't know what this means, it means that they will plant a small
piece of seemingly quiet software in your computer making it possible
for someone in another country to operate your computer while you're
not.  They can enter it, examine the files, plant more stuff and make
your computer do their bidding.

This may be the prelude to a denial-of-service-attack where somebody
needs a lot of computing power, and has hired Romanian computer thugs
to line up the processors.  I think a lot of money might have gone
into this.

If you have access to any computer security networks (I don't) and
can warn folks, I'd appreciate it.  I could not reach Facebook
directly because they don't (stupidly) provide an access address...
as does Google... for phishing attempts, etc.   But this may be
bigger than that.  Facebook was just picked because it's so
ubiquitous, and these folks apparently want a LOT of fast personal
computers on hand for... uh... whatever.  It remains to be seen.

Iran, perhaps - hoping to overpower its own external Internet
traffic?   Or somebody actually wanting to "stop" an entire
government, or maybe a "simple" widespread criminal enterprise.
Can't tell.   But my radar tells me this could be very problematic
for somebody - and certainly you if your computer is compromised in
this fashion.

Don't respond to such a Facebook email, or click on the connecting
button contained in it.

Michael Cerulli Billingsley
Straight Arrow Recordings
Location Recording - CD Mastering - Sound F/X and Solutions
The Cotton Mill, Brattleboro, VT 05401
802-254-3975