[Hidden-tech] help populating mailing label template from spreadsheet(?) with names & addresses using OpenOffice

andrew bellak andrew at bellak.name
Wed Dec 9 09:54:20 EST 2009

Dear H-T,

Happy snow day to one and all!

This is for a personal project  that has business use as well.  The
missus suggested we create mailing labels for holiday cards this year
to save time in years to come . . .

Getting a 'Word' template from Avery Labels that has appropriate
tables for the size of the labels/sheets was no problem.

Finding the instructions for how to get the spreadsheet / database
fields to the correct location within the 'Word' table has proved not
so easy to find.

If someone could tell us step-by-step instructions and/or find a
guide, that would be appreciated.

CAVEAT - we're using OpenOffice NOT MS Word/Excel, however, we can
save files as MS Word XP and Excel XP.

One article I found says that using a database file instead of a calc
(excel) file works better in OpenOffice.
http://www.freesoftwaremagazine.com/articles/mail_merge_openoffice_org

My attempts with the Mail Merge Wizard did not work well so far.

Gracias!

Andrew
--
Andrew Bellak
CEO

andrew at StakeHoldersCapital.com
www.StakeHoldersCapital.com
(o) 888-STK-HLDR (785-4537) x.2
(o) 413-306-3244
(f) 888-735-HLDR
(m) 646-552-5783

-common good investing, uncommonly smart
-risk management with options

This message is intended only for the personal and confidential use of
the designated recipient(s) named above. If you are not the intended
recipient of this message you are hereby notified that any review,
dissemination, distribution or copying of this message is strictly
prohibited. This communication is for information purposes only and
should not be regarded as an offer to sell or as a solicitation of an
offer to buy any financial product, an official confirmation of any
transaction, or as an official statement of StakeHolders Capital.
Email transmission cannot be guaranteed to be secure or error-free.
Therefore, we do not represent that this information is complete or
accurate and it should not be relied upon as such. All information is
subject to change without notice. This e-mail may be considered
advertising under federal law. If you do not want to receive similar
commercial electronic mail messages in the future from StakeHolders
Capital, you may change your e-mail preferences at any time by
contacting our office.