[Hidden-tech] a question for HT futurists

Videatives at aol.com Videatives at aol.com
Sat Sep 6 16:20:25 EDT 2008

Amy,.

Love this challenge.   I am not sure my idea translates easily into a job
description, but the day is coming when numbers will be replaced by narratives.
This becomes possible as we develop robust ways to search video content.
Numbers have to count things that repeat, elsewise one would never get beyond the
number "one" in a scientific report.    To know that something has repeated
one has to create a standard definition so that two people can agree, "yes,
there it is again."   These standardized units, while countable, are devoid of
meaning because they have no story unto themselves, no narrative if you will.
We, the YouTube generation, are becoming less convinced of the authenticity of
numbers.   More and more people will be developing methods to make judgments
based on huge video databases to satisfy our awakening to the sterility of
numbers and the need for the uniqueness of narrative.

For example, in the future the evaluation of two school programs for young
children need not be based on the number of skills the children exhibit on
tests.   Rather the evaluation can be based on the quality of the story that
represents each of the schools.   The new video-search software will generate a
meta-pattern of each school's story.   This now allows for two schools to have
rather different stories, but both could be judged high quality because now one
can "read" the story and understand the school in its own context.   With
numbers the context is lost and we falsely conclude, at times, that the school with
the higher score is a higher quality school.

Currently we have no recourse because decision-makers depend on the
"objectivity" of numbers.   Nor can decision-makers take the time to visit each school
for weeks.   They have no robust method of finding the school's story.   They
do have what we call anecdotes but dismiss them as shallow samplings of the
data.   But as technology learns to automate pattern analysis from huge text and
video databases, programs such as schools, corporate teams, NGO projects,
etc. can be understood instead of simply evaluated.   A dysfunctional system can
be recognized by it processes.   The numerical count of its products could be
superfluous at the best, misleading at the worst.   No longer will be
satisfied with the pragmatist's answer "But it works."   We want to understand how the
system generates its products, what process (narrative, culture, system)
represents the school best.   We want to "see" the school, even if we are looking
at abstract representations of their story, the pattern.

Lets call this new job - video pattern analyst.   I emphasize video because
it is the most sequenced, contextualized and nuanced media we have to date.
These affordances of video are essential in preserving the temporal flow of each
micro-narrative as one attempts to generate the meta-narrative.   Counting
countables across time suffers from the process of unitization that I mentioned
before.   Once you reduce something to a unit, you necessarily decontextualize
that unit and can in no legitimate way put humpty dumpty together again.
Video analyze will be huge in 2020.   Now isn't 2020 the perfect date to see
things more clearly.

Ciao,
George Forman
President, Videatives, Inc.
Amherst, MA
www.vdieatives.com
See What Children Know™

Psssst...Have you heard the news? There's a new fashion blog,