[Hidden-tech] Fonts for a Mac

Chris Hoogendyk hoogendyk at bio.umass.edu
Wed Oct 15 16:21:42 EDT 2008

Deborah Chandler wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I am wondering if someone can clarify the legal aspects of sharing
> fonts these days.
>
> I need some fonts for a job that has a very small budget and can't
> bring myself to buy fonts for it. The ones I want include Frutiger and
> Univers Condensed, in the various weights.
>
> Could someone help clarify this info? Googling it was overwhelming....

Fonts are like software. Someone spent time doing the design and
implementation. Someone owns the copyright. I presume there are also
free fonts, but they aren't necessarily going to be the top quality or
particular designs you want.

In 1987 I paid something like $10,000.00 for the font library to run a
Linotronic service bureau. They were copy protected and had to each be
individually keyed to the imagesetter I was going to use them on or they
wouldn't work. It took me a full day just to key them all.

I haven't kept up on the font world since then.

--

Chris Hoogendyk

-
   O__  ---- Systems Administrator