[Hidden-tech] Copyrighting my name?

rdmurray at bitdance.com rdmurray at bitdance.com
Thu Nov 20 11:17:13 EST 2008

On Thu, 20 Nov 2008 at 10:41, Edbride-PR wrote:
> In which case you might add a descriptive word (as with the Famous Amos
> Cookie example).

If Kellogg's lawyers really think they have a _copyright_ on either of
those phrases (and I don't see a registration in the public copyright
database), then I wouldn't want them to my lawyers :)

Which doesn't mean you should use either phrase in marketing anything
even vaguely related to cookies...but it won't be copyright law you'll
be running afoul of.

On the other hand, as far as I know there being N>1 David Farkases in the
US doesn't prevent David from trademarking his name for doing business
in his particular line of work, as long as none of those others have
done it first, and his name really is part of his business identity.

Of course, IANAL, and anyone contemplating doing anything with trademark
or copyright should consult with a lawyer that specializes in that
subject area.

--RDM