[Hidden-tech] Template Sites in general - GoodBarry in particular

fredbliss at comcast.net fredbliss at comcast.net
Wed Nov 19 12:04:14 EST 2008

Hi Nancy,

I'm not a designer nor do I work with pre-made templates so I won't comment on that, but I would like to give you my 2 cents regarding GoodBarry.

GoodBarry does have a very solid marketing strategy and seems to have a robust statistics package and a focus on business metrics/ROI and such, which is great.  If you don't have the tech staff available to support and develop similar business tools, then they have basically offered you a solution - an easy-to-set-up polished CMS on which you can host your clients' web presence.

My gripe with GoodBarry is the degree of reliance that you end up having in their product and service. I like to think of it this way- would you buy a table that stands on only one leg?   Probably not unless you love the effects of gravity.

A good web presence should not rely upon a single resource for everything, especially since migrating to a new system is such a big undertaking.  In addition, their technology is proprietary, they are the providers and developers.  If you need something custom, you pay them top dollar or you don't do it.  They have some rudimentary tools that allow you to manage data in certain ways, but that won't take care of the specific needs of your client all the time.

I feel the best choice you can make for your clients is to find and offer a portable solution - something that can be worked on by more than one person in the event you/they aren't happy with the current technology provider.  I could launch into a diatribe about open source CMS technology versus licensed but I won't do that now, (There are some ASP.NET-based solutions that are portable as well)

Ultimately you have to decide whether you would be better off putting all your client's eggs in GoodBarry's basket or perhaps looking into forging a relationship with an entity that offers something that the client can take and have other people work on in the future.

Hope this helps,

Fred Bliss
www.winanscreative.com

From: Nancy Salwen <nancy at salwen.net>