[Hidden-tech] SATA saga

rdmurray at bitdance.com rdmurray at bitdance.com
Fri Nov 14 10:27:17 EST 2008

On Thu, 13 Nov 2008 at 20:18, Izzy Gesell wrote:
> Help please! I bought an external cd/dvd drive. It uses a SATA II cable
> and I cant figure out how to connect it to my laptop...do I need some kind
> of adapter?

If I'm reading right, I think you mean an eSATA cable.  If you don't
have an eSATA connector on your laptop, then yes you will need an adapter.

Check out this Wikipedia article:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Serial_ATA#External_SATA

Sounds like you need to add a cardbus or ExpressCard eSATA card to
your laptop.

I have no personal experience with any of this, so one of the hardware
knowledgeable people here will probably provide you with more useful
info :)

--David