[Hidden-tech] Mac or PC?

Tom Kopec t_e_k at comcast.net
Mon Nov 3 14:54:53 EST 2008

At 01:57 PM 11/3/2008, Will Loving wrote:

>I'll have to take exception with some of Alex's assertions.

I'll have to take exception to some of your assertions

>    * I have a 2.5Ghz dual Processor G5 that is four years old. Over
> time I've added RAM, larger hard drives and a faster DVD burner
> ($50) and it's still going strong and handles both graphics, video
> and intensive database work just fine. And, those add-ins took 5-10
> minutes to install. Yes, I'm looking forward to updating to a Mac
> Pro sometime in the next year, so I can run Windows on it (for
> cross-platform db development) have just one computer sitting next
> to me instead of two as I do now. However, I have friends with
> name-brand PCs that are barely a year old and they are already
> talking about needing to upgrade.
The implication that PCs are only good for a year is absurd.

Our PC server and backup mule: bought in 2001, runs win2k, has never
given us a moment of trouble.

My main PC workstation: first fired up in 2004, finally replaced this
summer (and put to work as a linux build server) .. not because it
really needed to be replaced, but there were some advantages to newer
processors for the VMs I run. To the end, it was well able to do the
FPGA design, PWB layout, and software engineering work that I do, the
first two being VERY processor and graphics intensive.

My good friend does Mathematica, Maple, etc on his 5-year-old PC
laptop, and is perfectly happy with it.

Visit pretty much any manufacturing facility, and you will find
not-exactly-young PCs manufacturing and shipping the products you use
every day.

OTOH, my daughter's 1.5-year-old macbook is a doorstop, and along the
way the cost of ownership was not particularly low, what with Steve's
hand on my wallet.

So, YMMV. One can certainly make assertions to support any viewpoint,
and 57% of all statistics are made up on the spot.

:)

...tom