[Hidden-tech] Mac or PC?

Kevin McAllister kevin at inresonance.com
Sat Nov 1 15:13:34 EDT 2008

The ancient question!

I believe that too much emphasis is placed in the wrong area in this
discussion always -

Goes like this:

- Mac is SO much more expensive, but people swear by it for graphics,
video, creativity. Can I save money and just buy a cheaper PC?
- Computer is computer - buy the one you like.

Having worked with, and supported dozens of institutions and
professionals - parents and students - for 15 years, to me the answer
is the same.

The total cost of computer owndership is not the purchase price. If
you save 500, or 1000 or 5000 in purchase price (forget 200) and you
can't get your job done for hours, or days, or weeks, then you have
lost potentially thousands of real dollars.

The cost of frustration, loss of productivity, downtime, returns,
rebooting, and freezes dwarfs any purchase cost savings —if there is
any. Using a bargain basement PC with free, or low cost, stolen, or
"borrowed" software for real work, to me is a very near sighted
decision.

Using a running PC or a running Mac to create in Photoshop or Office
is mostly equal. That is true.

Graphic designers create to share. Sharing nicely is what Mac is all
about - not running Office or Adobe products.

Printing those files, transferring those files, getting true color
with printers, hooking up to peripherals, adding different cameras,
etc is where the difference is staggering, and where all but the high
end geek will lose time and money. Four trips to CompUSA and 2 weeks
of returns and the associated downtime loses all purchase savings for
most graphic designers.

My 2 cents
Kevin

Kevin J. McAllister | President, CEO