[Hidden-tech] ruggedized AMD processor speed limitation question

David Morf davidtoday at comcast.net
Wed May 7 11:20:47 EDT 2008

I'm not a hardware maven, but a specialized healthcare project I'm exploring
is considering an Atigo S 310LX mobile computer with an AMD Geode LX800
processor to function as the tablet in a backpack intended to support
energy-efficient remote-area medical diagnostics and communications.  The
AMD CPU runs at 500 MHz, with either 512 Mb or 1 Gb of SDRAM and 32 Gb of
flash memory, to support the XP (Service Pack 2) TabletPC operating system.
As a remote device, albeit with a sun panel to extend battery life, it's
important to keep power consumption down, and the AMD CPU only uses 3.6
watts.  The challenge is that the medical diagnostics function should
include communications and a video application so that a central facility
can support remote location scenarios such as, "Can't do anything, need a
doctor looking over my shoulder advising me to try this, not that."  The
questions are whether a 500 MHz processor can handle video at all, and is
there any impact on video between the smaller and larger SDRAM options?

Any thoughts on this topic are much appreciated!

       David

David Morf

Market Data Consulting

Complexity, context, pattern

136 Dartmouth Street

Holyoke, MA 01040

413-536-0944 (direct)

413-426-6059 (cell)

davidtoday at comcast.net

A founding member of the Center for Semantic Excellence
www.semanticexcellence.org <http://www.semanticexcellence.org/>