[Hidden-tech] Random crashes in XP?

Scott Reed sreed at avacoda.com
Thu Jun 19 01:22:49 EDT 2008

Chris Hoogendyk wrote:
> Unless and until Apple achieves market dominance, there is no way to
> truly prove that point one way or the other. While it must be accepted
> that hackers give more attention to the dominant OS, I believe it is
> also true that an OS receives attention according to it's
> susceptibility to being hacked. Linux provides the example. About 7
> years ago, if you had a freshly installed Red Hat Linux, and you
> connected it to the network so that you could download updates and
> patches, there was a very real chance that you would get hacked before
> you even had a chance to download the updates. That is no longer true.
I'm not hearing much that contradicts my point that hackers will
concentrate on the most vulnerable and widely used technologies. As I
said, 90% of the problem is crappy MS technology but assuming MS will
eventually bite the dust, hackers will retool and retarget. Most of us
want our systems connected with relative generosity and liberty and I
think that will always create opportunity for mischief and crime.