[Hidden-tech] QuickTime and streaming video question

Videatives at aol.com Videatives at aol.com
Thu Jan 31 07:16:25 EST 2008

In a message dated 1/18/08 4:52:50 PM, frieda at moleculesinmotion.com writes:

> Here's my confusion: If I create a QuickTime movie (.mov) say using
> QuickTime Pro, or SnapzProX, for example, and then upload it to my website along with
> a web page that links to it, when I click that link, the movie opens on its
> own page and starts playing immediately. The start of the movie is playing
> while the rest of it is downloading in the background. This sounds like
> streaming video to me, but I have not done anything special, like use a streaming
> video server, or hosting service.
>
> Thanks,
> Frieda

Frieda,   I have read the previous replies so I will try to contribute to
your issue without repeating what others have said.   I was not clear if you want
your video to stream or want users to download the video.   For example, at
www.videatives.com we need to have video trailers that stream but we need to
have users download our video products upon purchase.   To prevent the Quicktime
.mov files from streaming we place them inside a zipped (.zip) folder.
There is a way to "export" a Quicktime movie and deselect the "prepare for
Internet streaming" feature, thereby obviating the need to zip the file.   We have
not tried this.   Perhaps I am discussing as issue that you did not raise, but
there it is. Like you, I love this list.

George Forman
President, Videatives, Inc.
Amherst, MA 01002
Phone: 413 256 8846