[Hidden-tech] Verizon vs. Comcast

Matthew Crocker matthew at crocker.com
Fri Jan 25 10:11:39 EST 2008

> Hi all...
>
> Finally getting ready to switch away from Comcast and ditch cable
> TV. It seems EarthLink no longer offers phone service so that only
> alternative is Verizon.
>
> What they offer at my location is their 3Mbps DSL. I'm close to a
> switching station so the speed should be as advertised. My question
> is... will I experience a noticeable difference in performance
> compared to Comcast cable?

DSL is normally faster than Comcast @ peak time because the slow part
of the link (the part that connects to your house) is dedicated.
Don't believe the hype of the cable company commercials, The
'slowski's' aren't all that slow,  the turtle won that race if I
remember correctly.   After you get into the 'node' (cable head end or
Verizon CO) all things are pretty much equal.  All providers over
commit,  some more than others but it is a fact of life.

When do you plan on using the network.   Cable & Verizon Online are
primarily consumer grade residential products so their networks hit
capacity from 2:30p - 11p and on snow days when school is out.  My
network is primarily built to serve business so my capacity planning
is based around M-F 8a-6p.   So, a residential DSL user on my network
would have a better Internet experience than a Verizon Online DSL user
would at 7pm.  The technology is identical but the subscriber usage
patters are different.

> A related question about TV... is anyone using an indoor antenna to
> pick up the local TV channels successfully in Amherst? If so, any
> words of wisdom? I was thinking of using an amplified antenna and
> putting it as high as I can get it... second floor room, top of
> bookcase?

That depends on the structure of your house.  Aluminum siding will
destroy the RF signal,  Getting the antenna outside is highly
recommended.   Higher is always better and make sure you aim it
properly.   I'm thinking about getting a HDTV antenna to put on the
top of my house in Hatfield.   Getting up there is the hard part :/

Check out http://www.antennaweb.org/  you can enter your address and
it will tell you what antenna you should get and where to aim it to
pick up the stations you want.  I wouldn't waste your money on any
that isn't HDTV at this point the non HD signals are going off the air
next year.

-Matt

--
Matthew S. Crocker