[Hidden-tech] QuickTime and streaming video question

Frieda Reichsman frieda at moleculesinmotion.com
Fri Jan 18 16:28:06 EST 2008

Hi,

Can anyone clarify for me what "streaming video" per se does beyond
the immediate playing of a movie that is downloading?

Here's my confusion: If I create a QuickTime movie (.mov) say using
QuickTime Pro, or SnapzProX, for example, and then upload it to my
website along with a web page that links to it, when I click that
link, the movie opens on its own page and starts playing immediately.
The start of the movie is playing while the rest of it is downloading
in the background. This sounds like streaming video to me, but I have
not done anything special, like use a streaming video server, or
hosting service.

Thanks,
Frieda

Frieda Reichsman, PhD