[Hidden-tech] RFP searches

ussailis at shaysnet.com ussailis at shaysnet.com
Tue Jan 1 14:33:26 EST 2008

Herb,

First I would take a look at SBIR topics. The due-date for the current
round of DOD topics is due in a week or so, but you can sign up at the SBIR
web site for reminders. Always keep in mind, the 'hit rate' for SBIR is
very low. About 13% for DoD.

Google SBIR, as I recall it is not a .gov site.

Then look at FedBizOpps. That is the on-line doc that replaced the Commerce
Business Daily (CBD). Has all of the Federal Gov't 'opportunities,' and
some from various states. You have to be careful about what you read here,
much is wired, and some are kicking-the-tires stuff. I believe the price is
'right.'

I haven't spent much time with this one, I did look at the CBD every day
just before I began the consulting business. Then I came to the conculsion
that a good review is a one-person-time job. Since I have a one-person
shop, reviewing the CBD didn't make much sense.

I believe we have talked at one of the Hidden-Tec dog & pony shows, and you
are in the audio business. If so, then call the small business office at
the Naval Underwater Systems Center...Caution, these folks walk the walk,
etc, but in the end are not too helpful.

Then there is the person in charge of the document center at Hanscom. I
just can't remember his name, but I'll email it when I think of it. He is
an absolute wealth of info for small businesses, and who to contact, who is
doing what, etc. Never think because of what he does, he is just another
librarian, this guy ought to win some of the Gov't prizes for the job he
does.

Finally, remind me again of exactly what you do. All the major Gov't
contractors have small business offices, and activly solict small business
partners. I have a good contact at one of these, would like to see if there
is a fit.

Jim Ussailis

jim at nationalwireless.com