[Hidden-tech] Safari question

Chris Hoogendyk hoogendyk at bio.umass.edu
Fri Feb 15 15:18:23 EST 2008

Joe Edelman wrote:
> Surely you're aware the myriad of settings in 'Keychain Access' and the
> Security Control Panel that make password remembering on macs more
> secure.

I don't recall if it was Mac OS X 10.3.9 or 10.4, but somewhere along
there my keychain became corrupted. It caused no end of trouble with my
Mac, and the only solution turned out to be trashing some cryptic files
and reinitializing keychain. All the passwords that had been stored in
it were gone. That happened more than once, and the reason I was able to
solve it was because there were posts on the Mac forums describing the
situation and explaining how to repair it.

They may have fixed all that, but there are more than one angle of
fallout from it. It brought home the risk of trusting something that is
essentially invisible (it's encrypted on the computer and you have to
trust the software on the computer to work flawlessly). Well, computers
just are not flawless. Disk drives can fail as well. So, backups. But in
this kind of a situation, the best backup is, in my opinion, paper.

When the security forums start moving toward a consensus to trust
keychain, I might re-evalute. It's certainly better than trusting a PC.
But a lot of the risk warnings are still applicable.

> For instance, I have my "login" keychain (with all my web passwords) set
> to lock whenever I put the machine to sleep, or after 5 minutes of
> inactivity.  I know that my passwords are stored encrypted by my
> passphrase, which needs to be entered to unlock it.  It is unlikely that
> someone could steal my laptop without it having been put to sleep (by
> closing the lid) or having five minutes of inactivity.
>
> The most important advantage is that my web passwords are all different,
> and I don't have to use the mental space (or a text file) to remember
> them.  This, I believe, is more secure than what most people do, reusing
> passwords across sites, and giving their password thusly to every
> sysadmin and every dba at each of those sites.  Are your passwords all
> different?  How do you remember them without help?

I use mnemonics among other things. For example, I might make up a
password based on the phrase "even Bill Gates indicated that vista was
not ready for release." So, I start with eBGivNrr (capitalizing somewhat
irregularly and dropping minor words to leave 8 characters). Then,
keeping the typing easy, I might shift up to the numeric row for some
keystrokes and add a non-alphanumeric at the end (or in the middle if
appropriate). So I might end up with a password of eBG8vN44! -- which is
a pretty secure password and relatively easy for me to remember. After
typing it a few times, the mnemonic memory and tactile memory reinforce
one another.

Now, unfortunately, I have dozens of such passwords. If I use them
regularly, I remember them without too much trouble. If I have one that
I don't use very often, I may have some trouble. And there are some
credit card companies that lock your online login after 3 failed
attempts to log in. Therefore, even if you have a pretty good idea what
the password is, you can't risk trial and error. So I do have a piece of
paper with all my passwords written on it. There is no indication of
what the passwords apply to. I have to remember at least that much. I
keep it in a physically secure place. If you don't have a safe, then
dream up something weird, not just sticking it in your sock drawer, and
especially not on the underside of your keyboard.

For stuff that doesn't have to be that secure (online forums and such
where you're only saying "hey, it's me" and no money changes hands),
then, yes, I do have a few simple passwords that I re-use for many of
them. This is because they don't merit the effort. There are way too
many of them, and some of them I don't visit very often.

Chris Hoogendyk

-
   O__  ---- Systems Administrator
 (*) \(*) -- 140 Morrill Science Center