[Hidden-tech] Wesleyan U EXTRA Touts Hidden Tech!

A - Z International az at a-zinternational.com
Fri Feb 15 10:36:51 EST 2008

Hi all,

Hidden Tech got some great PR this week in the Wesleyan University
"EXTRA" online magazine. My alma mater (well, one of them . . .) has
been a friend of Hidden-Tech for many years and has helped build
awareness of the organization and of the virtual company trend, of
which we are a part.

Why should you care?

First, Wesleyan is one of the country's greatest small universities
and liberal arts colleges. Their alums are leaders in all fields,
including many industries where you work -- from film to sciences,
the arts, etc . . .

Wes alum are members of Hidden-Tech. And learning more about our
network means more may join. The more critical mass HT achieves, the
more potential work and support for everyone. So read and enjoy!

best,

Amy Zuckerman
HT Founder

The Wesleyan University online EXTRA has touted Amy Zuckerman and
Hidden-Tech. Read on:

In 2001 Amy Zuckerman '76 introduced the term "hidden tech" to
describe individuals who use technology to run businesses from their
homes, yet tend to be overlooked in studies of business activity. A
measure of the successful introduction of this term into business
lexicon came recently when CNN.com ran an interview with Zuckerman on
its home page.

She told CNN.com that she has seen an increasing trend toward people
who, thanks to their ability to interact virtually with colleagues
and customers, work from their home office, from rented space, even
from trucks on the road. Employment at a distance mediated by
technology is a large and diverse phenomenon.

Studies show, she says, that a significant percentage of the baby
boomers will want to go out on their own at some point. CNN asked her
what questions she hears most commonly:

"If they have an idea, then their next question is, 'How do I make
that happen?' They don't know how to structure their ideas into a
business plan. How to get health insurance -- that's a real big one
for people starting out. You have to have a good accountant and be
really good at saving and investing.

"And there's lots of business questions: What do I do about tech
support? Do I hire someone? Should I work at home or should I rent
space? And then you get into, 'Is my idea good?' I show people how to
break their ideas up with my 'time, money, passion, energy, and
patience' formula. It seems to me that those are really crucial
elements, and if they line up you might have a winner."

<http://www.cnn.com/2007/LIVING/12/14/hidden.tech/index.html>CNN article