[Hidden-tech] DVD regions question

Marcia Yudkin yudkinyudkin at yahoo.com
Sat Feb 2 18:11:57 EST 2008

Hi all -

I bought 2 BBC DVDs from Amazon.uk not realizing that there
would be differences with our DVDs.  When I tried to play
the DVDs in my DVD player and my computer, the DVD player
said I couldn't play a Region 2 DVD, and my computer said
that if I switched my computer to Region 2 I had only a
very limited number of times I could switch back.

I did a tiny bit of research and found that you can get
some kind of programming sequence to "unlock" your DVD
player or computer, but I'm just not sure what to do.  I
certainly don't want to make the DVD player or the computer
unusable by doing something that's not supposed to be done
or that I did incorrectly.  And if I do want to unlock
something, would it be better to do it on the DVD player or
the computer?

Your advice?  I really do want to see these videos.
They're of a BBC program called Dragon's Den that I saw
once on TV here then could never find on the schedule
again.  The program shows entrepreneur contestants pitching
briefly to venture capitalists and the VCs saying yes or no
and their reasons for that.

Thanks,
Marcia Yudkin