[Hidden-tech] Converting PDFs to Word?

Shawn Fumo programming at shawnfumo.com
Tue Dec 16 21:25:06 EST 2008

As an FYI, from my understanding the problem with pdf conversion is
that it isn't a normal document format. Unlike HTML, it isn't bunches
of text with some formatting applied. Instead, each character is
treated like a separate entity. So it'll store a letter "a" at a
particular pixel location, an "x" at some location, etc. They may not
even be stored in the same order they're displayed in the resulting
document. So any program that extracts text from a PDF basically has
to act like an OCR program to try to reconstruct the document.

There's a variety of programs out there for extracting text/converting
from pdfs, both open source and commercial. One of the commercial ones
is from a local company Snowtide Informatics.

I'd agree with many of the responders that if there's some way of
getting at the text and images before it's actually made into a pdf,
that'd probably be the easiest way to go.

Shawn