[Hidden-tech] Mac Tech question

Chris Hoogendyk hoogendyk at bio.umass.edu
Tue Dec 9 13:15:31 EST 2008

Lynne Rudié wrote:
> Hi Jeff--
>     Set up your menu in list mode--so that "size" is one of the
> categories. Then go to "view" in the tool bar and select "view
> options." At the bottom of the view options palette you should see
> "calculate all sizes." If you check that off it will begin to
> calculate the size of the folders as well as the individual files. (If
> you click on size at the top of the menu it will sort everything by
> file size if you want it to.) My advice is, once you are done deleting
> and copying, that you unselect the "calculate all sizes" again because
> it seems to slow down the display.
>     Lynne

Of course.

Sometimes we unix types run out and hang ourselves for display without
even thinking of the simpler solutions.

MacOSX with spotlight actually has almost all the tools built into the
user interface. You just have to look a little deeper. So, the search
for 300M files can be done by clicking on the + sign next to the "save"
button at the top right of the finder window. Click on the popup for
"kind" and choose other. Then scroll down that and pick size. Enter 300
and choose MB from the popup. The only thing I didn't find was a way to
get the size displayed directly in that window. The "View", "Show View
Options" doesn't apply to a spotlight search window.

In a regular finder window, click on the icon at the top to view as a
list. Choose "View", "Show View Options" and click on "Calculate all
sizes". Then you can navigate around and see how big things are.
Sometimes a large folder will take a while to show it's size and will
just display as "--" for a while. Also, if you starting in one of the
places and then click on "Macintosh HD" to look at everything, you will
have to set the View Options again.

--

Chris Hoogendyk

-