[Hidden-tech] Re: pro bono work

Edbride-PR Ed at edbride-pr.com
Thu Dec 4 12:18:01 EST 2008

Here is a response from my accountant, a CPA:
        "In one respect she is actually correct, but in order to get the
deduction for the fair value of "Services" you must then pick that up as
income and deduct the contribution. This makes NO sense as contributions
are deductible on Schedule A and not as a deduction for social security
taxes.  The transaction actually COSTS you money. What is being missed
here is that you are a cash basis taxpayer just as I am.  If there is no
cash transaction there is no deduction."

To reiterate: while many solopreneurs and entrepreneurs make more than the
Social Security cutoff, if you don't, then you will pay taxes (which come
back under the donation) and Social Security (double payment for
self-employed, and these do not come back after the donation-back).

Ed