[Hidden-tech] Re: pro bono work

Lynne Rudié lynnerudie at verizon.net
Thu Dec 4 09:57:32 EST 2008

Here's what I do for pro bono work, when the deduction is important
enough (i.e. when the amount is large enough). I bill for the work and
get paid for it and then write the organization a check for the amount
they have paid me. This way they get to deduct the cost of my services
as an expense and I get to deduct it as a donation. It's very clean
and clear, and the accountants love it.

However, for smaller bits of work, the return in good will (and
possibly future referrals) is more than enough compensation.
Especially if I can do the work when I'm not over-the-top busy with
paying clients. And an organization that is willing (and able) to plan
ahead for when they need to the work to be done is probably going to
be a better client than one who can't, whether I'm getting paid for
the work or not.

Lynne