[Hidden-tech] Re: pro bono work

Chris Hoogendyk hoogendyk at bio.umass.edu
Wed Dec 3 13:04:56 EST 2008

Linda Taylor wrote:
> You are right, Maria. When I worked in an office I did a lot of pro
> bono work. When I lost my job and began to freelance it was the work I
> had done for community organizations that brought new work to my
> doorstep before I even advertised. I have to be careful what I take on
> now because the paying customers come first, but it is a way to branch
> out and can be great publicity. You just have to make sure that there
> is a way that the public knows that it was your work. And it is
> probably wise to make it clear to the organization just how much work
> you are putting into it and how much they are saving. A lot of our
> work is undervalued as it is and we don't want to perpetuate that myth.

hmm. Someone might want to comment on tax issues. If you made out an
invoice and had them sign off on it as a contribution, it would serve
the dual purposes of making them aware of the cost to you and the cost
savings to them as well as giving you a document for tax purposes as an
itemized contribution. Would this then apply only if it were a
charitable organization? I have no clue. I'm just putting this out there
for someone who does have a clue to comment on.

--

Chris Hoogendyk

-
   O__  ---- Systems Administrator