Questions about GMail (was Re: [Hidden-tech] An Idea about Email)

Jeremy Dunn jeremy.j.dunn at gmail.com
Tue Aug 26 22:48:20 EDT 2008

gmail has really good POP & IMAP integration.  It can also be used as an SMTP server for outgoing email.
Configuration details are in the gmail support section.
http://mail.google.com/support/bin/answer.py?hl=en&ctx=mail&answer=12103 (POP)
http://mail.google.com/support/bin/answer.py?hl=en&ctx=mail&answer=12103 (IMAP)

Also, it will handle up to 5 other email accounts.  You supply the server/user/password, and it checks your other accounts.  Advantage is consolidating multiple accounts into one, and applying gmail's excellent spam filters to all your email.   Then you read your mail in the browser (or) collect it in a single POP session, rather than polling multiple accounts.

I've been using gmail for about 2 months.  A handful of non-spam messages have been mis-identified as spam; and a handful of spam allowed through the filters.  Spam is auto-deleted after 30 days.  I glance through it once a week or so just to make sure nothing is getting missed.

- Jeremy

  Shel,

  I'll answer as best I can. Not an expert. Answers to your questions below.

  * I archive tons of mail and often go through it for stuff from years ago. How does one bring gmail's archives onto one's own computer--including sent mail?

  You should experiment with this but I'm fairly sure that an e-mail program like Entourage or Eudora can pull down any GMail mail by POP or IMAP protocol. GMail has so much capacity and flexibility that you'll never have to throw anything out--or that's the claim.