Questions about GMail (was Re: [Hidden-tech] An Idea about Email)

Shel Horowitz shel at frugalfun.com
Tue Aug 26 17:45:48 EDT 2008

>     I received over 88,000 Spam messages in the last 30 days! Just
>checked my Spam "folder" which I never normally do.
>
>     And almost NONE of them came into my inbox--perhaps a dozen a
>day at most on a bad day.
>
>     I use Google's GMail. I have seven e-mail addresses that neatly
>flow into one inbox. I have only ONCE in the last year had Google
>incorrectly identify something as SPAM--I never normally check my
>Spam "folder". ("Folder" is in quotes because GMail doesn't actually
>use folders but rather uses tags.)
>
>     I sound like an advertisement for Google, but with Google in my
>life, Spam no longer exists as a concern for me--it's Google's worry
>and they handle it beautifully.
>
>     And yes I know, Sergey and Larry and the CIA are reading my
>e-mail. But small price to pay . . .

I have been thinking about Gmail for months, as it becomes painfully
obvious that the thousands and thousands of messages in my mail
folder (300 new ones per day) are overwhelming Eudora, and the
company is no longer supporting it. My questions:

* I archive tons of mail and often go through it for stuff from years
ago. How does one bring gmail's archives onto one's own
computer--including sent mail?
* How good is support for filtering, folders, etc.? I take it does
pretty well managing multiple addresses.
* How serious are the privacy issues?
* Are there other solutions that run on a Mac, filter well, support
different sigs and addresses, and are still supported?
* Although I have broadband, I find the Web can be quite pokey. I
find Mail2Web very frustrating because it takes so long for a window
to open when I preview a message. Is this a problem on GMail?
* How does Gmail stack up on false-positive spam, which has been a
major problem with every spam solution I've tried? Particularly want
to hear on that last one from people in marketing/sa les.

Thanks so much!

Shel Horowitz - 413-586-2388/800-683-WORD shel at frugalfun.com
-->Join the Business Ethics Pledge - Ten Years to Change the World,
One Signature at a Time  (please tell your friends)
<http://www.business-ethics-pledge.org>
Marketing consulting * copywriting * publishing assistance * speaking
How to market ethically/effectively: http://www.frugalmarketing.com
Ethics Blog:  http://www.principledprofit.com/good-business-blog/
Books: http://www.frugalmarketing.com/shop.html