[Hidden-tech] web streaming

Chris Hoogendyk hoogendyk at bio.umass.edu
Fri Aug 8 12:12:12 EDT 2008

Frederick Clarkson wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am involved in staging an event at a church in New York City next
> fall. I had suggested that is would be cool to live stream the event
> over the internet.
>
> Someone looked into it and was given an estimate that it would cost a
> prohibitive $10,000.
>
> Does anyone have any idea what a realistic range for live web
> streaming of an event of say, 2 hours duration, should cost?
>
> The church already has a web site and has a welcome video on it, for
> what that may be worth.

umm. All depends on level of professional quality and potential audience
that it has to support in terms of simultaneous downloads and demand on
a server. I'm pretty sure Apple puts a lot more than that into Steve's
Keynote Addresses. ;-)  However, my 40th High School Reunion just last
week had live webcams so that people who couldn't make it back to
Colorado could "participate" in the event. One of the more techy guys
put it together with existing equipment that he had, and I'm pretty sure
he didn't even put out money in the hundreds, let alone thousands.

Chris Hoogendyk

-
   O__  ---- Systems Administrator
 (*) \(*) -- 140 Morrill Science Center