[Hidden-tech] need thoughts on future search tools for kid's book

Chris Hoogendyk hoogendyk at bio.umass.edu
Tue Apr 29 16:52:47 EDT 2008

Reva Reck wrote:
> Has it occurred to any of you miniaturization proponents that looking
> at anything on a 2x3 inch screen is less than ideal? How about the
> fact that clothes, especially kid's clothes,  need to be washed
> occasionally & that pockets loaded w. electronics will be a nightmare
> for whoever's doing the laundry? Are these electronics going to be so
> cheap that we won't care when our kids lose them or break them after
> falling on the playground and/or tearing a pocket? Or are these going
> to be classroom items that belong to the school, hopefully with
> head-lice proof headsets? Pardon my cynicism, but I think it's
> important to distinguish between virtual reality and the real world.

The screen is an issue. There are people who are getting along with the
iPhone while they are on the move. But you're not going to be reviewing
a corporate spreadsheet or approving a page proof on an iPhone. This is
why people are looking at foldable digital paper, further future contact
lenses as binocular 3D displays, and lots of other ideas. It's also why
some people have larger computer displays or living room oversize plasma
displays. The iMac essentially is the display.

With sufficient miniaturization and intelligence, the contacts approach
will be able to present essentially anything your eyes are capable of
seeing. This is already being experimented with with goggles. It's just
a question of continuing miniaturization.

Wearables and miniaturized portable devices are already around. I have a
T-shirt that has a wireless display icon covering the front. As I walk
around, it lights up a faint blue to indicate the signal strength
wherever I happen to be. It's a purely geek thing, but there it is. If I
wash it, I have to remove the emblem from the front, disconnect the
interior wire, and remove the battery from an inside waist level side
pocket. Wash the T-shirt, reassemble it, and go geek.

And, yes, prices are dropping. There is crazy geek toy stuff that
wouldn't make sense if it wasn't dirt cheap to whack a chip into
something and make it work. The first calculator that I bought cost a
few hundred dollars and couldn't do what the $15 scientific calculators
can do now. Heck, the first digital computers filled large rooms and
could barely do what a $15 programmable scientific calculator can do
now. Look how robust and ubiquitous cell phones are now. The first hard
drive I got on my Mac Plus way back in 1986 was several times larger and
multiples more expensive than a drive I can get now that has more than
10,000 times the capacity and is much faster as well. The MacBook Air
doesn't even have a disk drive. It uses a variant of memory chips as a
solid state drive. I have a keychain fob that is an actually memory simm
that I once paid hundreds of dollars for. Now it is junk, or geeky
decoration, because we can get 1000 times that much memory in the same
space for less money.

It's happening. And the speculation stuff is in labs being played with.
People's imagination and genius will determine what becomes available.
The market place and what the masses respond to will determine how
things really turn out.

Chris Hoogendyk

-
   O__  ---- Systems Administrator