[Hidden-tech] need thoughts on future search tools for kid's book

Steven Solomon ssol at interactiveguild.com
Mon Apr 28 10:04:12 EDT 2008

Amy,

I second (or third) what Lou and Scott had to say. We are at the
beginning of seeing computers "disappear". The first manifestations
of this trend is powerful cellphone/computers and iPods that slip
into your clothing, such as jackets and pants with pockets designed
just for such devices. Some ski jackets now come with MP3 players
built into their collars. This trend is now just at the tinker-toy
stage, but it shows industry awareness of where this can go and is
the foundation of a strange convergence of computing and fashion.

Before not too long, multi-purpose electronics that now take up
several square inches or more (PCs, palm-tops) will shrink to a size
that can fit in a belt buckle. Wireless connectivity will become much
more robust. Optical computing will have arrived. Two decades from
now it will likely be routine for packages of consumer commodities
and medicines to communicate to the Internet. Walmart and other
companies are already using RFD to control inventory, plane ticket
ordering, etc. These functions are largely invisible to the consumer
but the adaptive, somewhat intelligent networks that they rely on are
working pretty well at this early stage.

So, let's assume that the developed world finally gets its act
together and develops Africa, making a new market for our goods to
compliment Africa's abundant resources that we rely on (metals,
diamonds, etc.). That kid in, say, the Republic of Congo in the year
2525, would plug in a set of wireless ear buds and talk to his
trousers. His trousers would understand human speech and reply in
kind while sending the response to the printer at the school or home.

Finally, you might want to speculate on a more distant future. 2100.
Neural implants for machine/human interaction? The first experiments,
successful ones, are happening now.

> In social studies class you are studying Africa. Your teacher asks
> you to find an article on your desktop computer about the people of
> Central Africa. By 2030 there is so much information on the web that
> you need a software tool called a 'bot to help find the data. 'Bots
> are animated computer figures that ask questions to make your data
> search easier.
>
> Here is my suggestion for changing it...
>
> In social studies class you are studying Africa. Your teacher asks
> you to find an article on your desktop computer about the people of
> Central Africa.By 2030,computer memory has grown so large, that all
> knowledge since the dawn of civilization will be available on line.
> Using special "thinking" software called Artificial Intelligence, the
> computer will not only find the answer to your question but will also
> try to guess what else you might need before you ask it.

Steven Solomon
Writer, Inventor, Near Futurist
ssol at interactiveguild.com
http://www.interactiveguild.com
Mobile: 413.537.4536
Home Office: 413.585.0229

In The Maze of a Networked World, We Help You See Around Corners.