[Hidden-tech] Mac tech advice sought

Shel Horowitz shel at frugalfun.com
Tue Sep 25 18:20:23 EDT 2007

At 3:23 PM -0400 9/25/07, Wendyfoxmy at aol.com wrote:
>    ** The author of this post was a Good Dobee.
>    ** You too can help the group
>    ** Fill out the survey/skills inventory in the member's area.
>    ** If you did, we all thank you.
>
>I'm trying to upgrade my "home business" operation (Mac) to
>interface better with my clients.  I'm looking for advice with
>specific applications and some challenges with my current technology
>(hardware and software).
>Thanks, in advance.
>Wendy Foxmyn

OS X 10.4 is superior in many ways to previous operating systems--but
it has a number of quirks. Among them: moving folders around doesn't
always work the way you think it will, and if you get it wrong,
unexpected things happen--like having a folder vanish from your tool
bar with a poof sound, or trying to copy a large folder to an
external drive only to have all 178 items open instead.

I find that for most collaboration, Word and Excel are fine. They're
cross-platform. You have to warn your clients on Vista to save it in
the 1998-2004 format, however.

Also, when you search in the inder with Spotlight, it defaults
stupidly to the very slow search for a text string within a document.
You have to change the first criterion to name and make sure you type
your filename search string in the correct place.

Oh, and you may find you want something much more robust than AOL for
email. I love Eudora.

Shel Horowitz - 413-586-2388/800-683-WORD shel at frugalfun.com
-->Join the Business Ethics Pledge - Ten Years to Change the World,
One Signature at a Time  (please tell your friends)
<http://www.business-ethics-pledge.org>
Marketing consulting * copywriting * publishing assistance * speaking
How to market ethically/effectively: http://www.frugalmarketing.com
Ethics Blog:  http://www.principledprofit.com/good-business-blog/
Books: http://www.frugalmarketing.com/shop.html