[Hidden-tech] social networking software

carrie at bergmansbear.com carrie at bergmansbear.com
Mon Sep 17 13:59:05 EDT 2007

I was wondering if anyone has had experience with AlstraSoft E-Friends,
Elgg, OneSite or any other social networking platforms.

Here's some more info on my project:
Primary feature needs: private, pay-to-access; password management;
user-profile-focused, like Facebook & Myspace; document and media sharing;
robust searching capabilities so the site can serve as a directory.
Timeline: maybe 3-6 months?
Budget: 5K or less, ideally; could possibly go up to 10K.
Ideally, I'm imagining something like a Facebook version of Constant
Contact: an all-in-one, user-friendly, hosted package for non-programmers.

On the one hand, this feels to me like I'm asking too much; on the other,
there seem to be hundreds of "Myspace clones" out there and I don't know
how to begin sorting through it all!

Thoughts, recommendations?

Thank you!
Carrie Bergman