[Hidden-tech] Nuke Power & Energy Providers?

Steven Solomon ssol at interactiveguild.com
Wed Oct 31 17:25:35 EDT 2007

Folks,

I'd like to get a little off-topic and give you all something to
think about and study about your energy provider's sources of energy.
It's important that we all be informed about this stuff.

Jeremy wrote:

> WMECO 33% Nuclear, 39% Gas, 14% coal, 8% oil, 6% other
> Dominion 64% Nuclear, 18% Gas, 8% Coal, 2% oil, 3% hydro, 5% other
>
> Basically I think Dominion owns one or more nuclear power plants in
> the northeast, which are cheaper to operate than fossil-fuel
> plants. But there is that persistent problem of what to do with
> nuclear waste.  Nobody wants it, and it lasts ~ 10,000 years.

Good catch, but it leaves out a couple of things that folks should
consider. I speak from some knowledge of the nuke industry, having
worked with alongside those folks (both in those in military and the
private sector) for a couple of decades. I produced a documentary
about the issues of "safe" nuke power and heard so many lies from
their defenders and heard so many horror stories from not only those
folks but hard core scientists, that I can't enumerate them in this e-
mail. Suffice it to say, they included the facts about the half-life
of waste (actually up to a quarter million years for a couple
isotopes, Jeremy), the politicization of the industry, simple things
like wrenches getting accidently dropped in waste pools and discarded
there, technicians selling drugs in the plants, etc.

I'm no promoter of nuke power, but I have been thinking things over
of late. What about global warming? What if nuke power is our short-
cut to getting to a hydrogen/solar economy and getting off oil? I
won't tell you what to think; as I've said, I haven't made up my own
mind. Just think about it and learn. Maybe take the sources (except
true renewables) off your ledgers in deciding where you find a
provider for the next couple of years.

Looking Forward,

Steven Solomon
Writer, Inventor, Near Futurist
ssol at interactiveguild.com
http://www.interactiveguild.com
Mobile: 413.537.4536
Home Office: 413.585.0229

In The Maze of a Networked World, We Help You See Around Corners.