[Hidden-tech] Cell phone reception

Deborah Chandler deborahchandler at comcast.net
Sun Oct 14 11:55:00 EDT 2007

Hi everyone,

I know there was some discussion recently about cell phone providers,
but I don't think it included actual cell phones. I looked through my
emails and on the Hidden_tech website and didn't see this specific
discussion, but if it's there, and it's fairly recent, I would love
to be directed to it.

Okay, my situation:
I recently lost (had stolen?) my wonderful Nokia cell phone (I think
it was a model 6010? it was simple and inexpensive), and needed to
buy a replacement. On a salesperson's advice, I bought a Samsung SGH-
A117 and I am very disappointed with its reception. The battery also
dies quickly.

What I find interesting is that I continue to have AT&T service, (A
Pay As You Go by the way, no contract) yet I get alerts that I have
no service in my own house, where there was always service
previously. (Okay, aren't they the ones with the ads for "least
dropped calls?!)

I now need to replace it for one that gets better reception and
doesn't drop calls so easily. It seems that there is no longer a
simple, inexpensive Nokia available for my type of service.

I am confused by what reception problems are due to the carrier vs.
the actual phone and its antenna. Of course, I am further confused by
what the salespeople tell me....One said that the Nokia phones (the
bar style, more so than the flip phones) have great reception because
they have an antenna that wraps around the entire internal edge of
the phone, whereas the other brands only have a small area with the
antenna. Another salesperson says that's bunk.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. I would like to make the
switch this week if possible. If you know of a source of information
that is actually unbiased (ha!) as to cell phones and their service/
reception, I welcome it.

Thanks,
Deb Chandler