[Hidden-tech] Nuke Power & Energy Providers?

Shel Horowitz shel at frugalfun.com
Thu Nov 1 07:44:32 EDT 2007

>  > WMECO 33% Nuclear, 39% Gas, 14% coal, 8% oil, 6% other
>>  Dominion 64% Nuclear, 18% Gas, 8% Coal, 2% oil, 3% hydro, 5% other

Unfortunately, if we stay on the grid, we don't really have a
nuke-free alternative. Mass Electric (serves Noho) also has some
nuclear in its mix, if I'm not mistaken. You can, however, lower your
dependence on nuclear by adding a solar system. On our 1743
farmhouse, we have a solar hot water system, which is not only
excellent but lowers our electric bill by over $100 per month--and a
small photovoltaic system, which produces less than I'd hoped (I
think it was installed too lo on the roof) but does sell back about
10% of our purchased electricity (and I imagine saves us at least
that much in electricity that we consume directly)

>  >
>>  Basically I think Dominion owns one or more nuclear power plants in
>>  the northeast, which are cheaper to operate than fossil-fuel
>>  plants. But there is that persistent problem of what to do with
>>  nuclear waste.  Nobody wants it, and it lasts ~ 10,000 years.
>
>Good catch, but it leaves out a couple of things that folks should
>consider. I speak from some knowledge of the nuke industry, having
>worked with alongside those folks (both in those in military and the
>private sector) for a couple of decades. I produced a documentary
>about the issues of "safe" nuke power and heard so many lies from
>their defenders and heard so many horror stories from not only those
>folks but hard core scientists, that I can't enumerate them in this e-
>mail. Suffice it to say, they included the facts about the half-life
>of waste (actually up to a quarter million years for a couple
>isotopes, Jeremy), the politicization of the industry, simple things
>like wrenches getting accidently dropped in waste pools and discarded
>there, technicians selling drugs in the plants, etc.

I also have some knowledge of this industry, starting with reading
every lay book on the subject for a college paper I wrote in 1974
(and to which I came to the subject with an open mind, and got
scared--very scared), to writing a column on the problems of nuclear
power in 1978-79, to writing my first book on that subject in the
aftermath of Three Mile Island.

Basically there is *no* good reason to go nuclear. As far as reasons
to avoid it, these are some of them:
* Taking the entire fuel cycle, from mining through milling,
transportation, assembly into fuel rods, powering the nuke, and
temporarily dealing with the waste, nuclear power actually *consumes
more power than it generates*--talk about a bad trade-off!
* Steven is correct--nuclear waste has to be sealed off from the
environment for about 250,000 years. Typically, you can multiply the
half-life of any radioactive isotope by ten in order to get an
approximation of when it will be safe to treat as non-half the
radiation to emit and neutralize. So if you have a pound of
radioactive material, at the end of its half-life, you'll still have
half a pound of radioactive and half a pound of inert. After the next
half-life you still have a quarter-pound, but after ten cycles,
nearly all of it is inert (you never reach zero, of course). Nukes
generate a whole stew of radioactive materials; one of the deadliest,
plutonium 239, has a half-life of 24,100 years--thus, the figure of a
quarter million years of isolation. This is one of the most
carcinogenic substances we now about, deadly to humans in doses
measured with an eyedropper--and every nuke generates significant
amounts. The handful of reactors operating in the US currently add
2000 *tons* of the stuff every year, and all you need is 20 pounds to
make an h bomb (we won't talk about other destructive uses that
require far less). [source:
http://www.ucsusa.org/global_security/nuclear_terrorism/extracting-plutonium-from-nuclear-reactor-spent-fuel.html]
* The only reason there is a commercial nuclear power program in this
country as that the government, back in the 50s, not only announced
that if private utilities wouldn't step up, it would set up its own
competing power plant system--and coupled that with an incredible
giveaway called the Price-Anderson Act--which established heavily
subsidized insurance policies with sharply limited liability.
Basically, the only ones likely to collect anything in the event of a
catastrophic accident are the owners of the plant, and even they
won't recoup their investment.
* Then you have a whole raft of safety issues including clumsy
low-level accidents like the dropped wrenches, on up to catastrophic
failure through accident or terrorism or earthquake

There's more, lots more--but I'll stop there.

>I'm no promoter of nuke power, but I have been thinking things over
>of late. What about global warming? What if nuke power is our short-
>cut to getting to a hydrogen/solar economy and getting off oil? I
>won't tell you what to think; as I've said, I haven't made up my own
>mind. Just think about it and learn. Maybe take the sources (except
>true renewables) off your ledgers in deciding where you find a
>provider for the next couple of years.

Here are some facts that might help make up your and others' minds:

* More energy from the sun falls uncaptured on the earth than is
consumed by all human activity
* Rooftops are a largely untapped source of energy. Think about all
the flat-roof buildings in New York City--with a quarter of their
area devoted to solar collectors and another quarter for rooftop
gardens: a big step toward both food (thus drastically lowering the
need for petroleum input) and energy self-sufficiency
* We could redesign many of our industrial and commercial processes
to use a whole lot less energy. See for example my article about
visionary scientist Amory Lovins and the work he's done to change
industrial energy patterns:
http://www.frugalmarketing.com/dtb/amorylovins.shtml

In other words, we can do everything we need with conservation
solar, wind, small-scale hydro, geothermal--especially if we change
our use patterns (for example, buying more locally grown food)
Shel Horowitz - 413-586-2388/800-683-WORD shel at frugalfun.com

I show the world the value in your values!
Award-wining author,
Principled Profit: Marketing That Puts People First
Founder of the Business Ethics Pledge, http://www.business-ethics-pledge.org