[Hidden-tech] Airport Extreme - printer

B. Melville bmelville.pgs at verizon.net
Thu May 24 12:50:16 EDT 2007

Not all USB ports/hubs are the same. For instance, the USB port on
your keyboard does not have the capability to deal with your iPod,
let alone a printer. The USB hub that you need to use is one that is
fully powered and capable of handling a printer or drive. Best to
check with a technician before buying.

>There is a USB port on the back of the Airport Extreme for
>connecting a printer or a external hard drive. Is it possible to use
>a USB extension so that I can plug a printer and external hard drive
>to that USB port simultaneously vs. having to constantly plug and
>unplug the printer and external hard drive?

Hi Jeff,

According to Apple, yes - you can use a USB hub to plug both your
printer and external drive into your Airport Extreme. I've been
reading up on this, so this is not based on experience, but it is
documented by Apple - can't give you a URL, tho - been reading too
many different reviews, descriptions etc.

I also read some posts in a blog, one that commented that the hub had
to have its own power source, another that contradicted this
directly, saying no power source was required for the hub itself.
Maybe someone else can confirm this.

Frieda