[Hidden-tech] Springfield Library hosts Civic News Listening Series

Tish Grier tishgrier at yahoo.com
Wed May 23 12:03:01 EDT 2007

Hi All,

  for those of you who are writers/journalists, work with newspapers and publishers, or are interested in issues of media literacy, the following event being presented on 5/24 at the Springfield Public LIbrary by the New England News Forum (and other info on the project) may be of interest:

LIBRARY LISTENING SERIES IN SPRINGFIELD ON THURSDAY

For those of you within an easy drive of Springfield, Mass., our second
"Civic News Library Listening Series" event is tomorrow (Thurs.) from
6:30
p.m. to 9 p.m. at the Springfield (Mass.) City Library, 220 State
Street.
Details:  http://www.newenglandnews.org/?q=library-springfield

STREAMING VIDEO OF BOSTON EVENT NOW ONLINE

QuickTime streaming video of last week's Boston Public library
listening-series event is now available on the website. Our panelists
heard thoughtful testimony from five audience members during the
feedback
period. For details, click to:
http://www.newenglandnews.org/?q=library

VIDEO OF SESSIONS FROM LOWELL KICKOFF EVENT

For those of you unable to attend the kickoff event of the NENF in
Lowell
on April 7, "The New(s) England Revolution," we have now linked on the
website streaming video of most of the key sessions. Sample the
offerings
and follow links to several blog reports from:
http://www.newenglandnews.org/?q=video

WATCH FOR FALL EVENTS

The NENF Civic News Library Listening Series will continue in the fall,
with events anticipated in Connecticut, Rhode Island and New Hamsphire.

HOW YOU CAN HELP

Help start a conversation about the relationship between the media and
the
public in your state or region. Consider these ways to be involved:

-- Volunteer to blog about your state, region or topic. The NENF
     website is a ready resource for convening conversation and ideas
     about important civic issues that involve media coverage. We
     seek contributors:
     http://dbs.hosting.crocker.com/wiki/index.php/State-coordinator

-- Email us with suggestions for analysis or review of coverage issues,
     or to simply provide a link to an important resource we should
include
     on the NENF website. Send to mail at newenglandnews.org

-- Invite us to speak to your group. Would your news organization like
     help organizing a "listening session" with your community? Are you
     part of a civic organization that would like to learn about how to
     for a more collaborative relationship with the idea? Call or
     email us to discuss.

-- Register at the NENF so that you can post on forums and blogs,
     and comment on stories:
     http://www.newenglandnews.org/?q=user/register

-- Raise an issue in one of our topical forums:
     http://test.newenglandnews.org/?q=forum
     http://www.newenglandnews.org/?q=Media
     http://www.newenglandnews.org/?q=Issues

-- Add an event to our calendar, either by email or web:
     http://www.newenglandnews.org/?q=node/add/event

-- Submit a news story for review
     http://www.newenglandnews.org/?q=node/add/content-submission

-- Forward this email to a friend, and invite them to bookmark the NENF
     website, register and consider a donation.

ABOUT US

The New England News Forum is a project of the journalism program at
the
University of Massachusetts Amherst. We are a collaboration among news
professionals, citizen journalists, educators and the public. We aim to
increase public trust and deepen public understanding of the news media
by
promoting the practice of trusted, thorough, and accountable journalism
-- and accountable government.
http://www.newenglandnews.org/?q=about

Bill Densmore, Executive Director
The New England News Forum