[Hidden-tech] OS X 10.4 questions

Shel Horowitz shel at frugalfun.com
Sun May 13 07:08:39 EDT 2007

I recently upgraded my desktop Mac from 10.2.8 to 10.4.6. In general,
I'm happy with Tiger, but there are a couple of things that drive me
nuts:

1. Printing
I had a few presets that I set up under previous versions of OS X,
including a toner saving module and then full strength printing at
300, 600, and 1200 dpi. For some reason, this printer driver defaults
to printing back to front in its automatic setting. In other words,
if I'm printing a 20-page document, page 20 comes first and page 1
comes last. I can set it manually to print front to back, but it's
three extra clicks--which adds up given how many times a day I hit
print. Also, and even more problematic, setting the page order has to
be done after selecting the preset, or else the paper handling
defaults to reverse printing again. And it's totally arbitrary
whether I get the preset I select.

I printed out a 100+-page e-book that I wanted to archive, and
carefully selected one of the full-strength presets--but I got it in
toner-saver mode. And many times, I'm printing a digest of one of my
discussion lists, which I read once and throw away, and request the
toner-saver setting, but get a nice dark archival-quality print.

I cannot figure out how to access the presets and change their
settings to incorporate my paper choice, or to change the paper
handling default, or to assure that the setting I choose is the one I
receive.

2. Sherlock
95 percent of the time, I can search for what I want by filename--but
the default of searching for internal content is brutally slow.I did
figure out how to search by filename, but not how to set it as the
default--and therefore I get bogged down in the slow search while I'm
setting the criteria, since it starts searching immediately. Surely
there must be a way to change the default!

3. This is a problem that existed in 10.2 as well: programs quitting
themselves for no reason. The culprits are Word (2001 version) and
Eudora 6.2.3, paid version. I try to have Eudora be the front
application when the mail comes in, and I try to load Word first
(they compete with Spamfire, which loads itself automatically even
though I keep deselecting that option). These things help, but I
still probably find Eudora quitting a couple of times a day and Word
a few times a week. On my laptop, running I think 10.4.2, Word will
quit the first time I hit Save As but then after I reload, it's fine.
If the mail comes in when something else is the front app, Eudora
will usually but not always quit--but it will also quit for no
apparent reason at other times, whether it's the active app or not.

Thanks for any help,
Shel Horowitz - 413-586-2388/800-683-WORD shel at frugalfun.com
-->Join the Business Ethics Pledge - Ten Years to Change the World,
One Signature at a Time  (please tell your friends)
<http://www.business-ethics-pledge.org>
Marketing consulting * copywriting * publishing assistance * speaking
How to market ethically/effectively: http://www.frugalmarketing.com
Ethics Blog:  http://www.principledprofit.com/good-business-blog/
Books: http://www.frugalmarketing.com/shop.html