[Hidden-tech] AZ seeking profile candidates for blog - see Shel

A - Z International az at a-zinternational.com
Sun Jun 17 13:07:57 EDT 2007

Hi all,

Long ago I was a profile writer for a newspaper
(actually many over the years) and enjoy bringing
people to life. In honor of Shel (and Claudia
Gere's) program on publishing Monday night I'm
posting this profile of Shel to my blog at
http://virtualdream-amyz.blogspot.com.

I'd love to bring the blog alive with lots of
you. If you are interested in having a short
write up developed by me, email pertinent
biographical information to
az at a-zinternational.com. Trying you hand at
writing would be easier and I can edit it. The
aim is to tell us what key aspects of your life
led you to the virtual work place.

Or, you can call me at 413-253-4124 if you need help.

Here's Shel!

best,

Amy Zuckerman
413-253-4124

         Shel Horowitz was still a teenager when
he started doing publicity for grass-roots
community organizations with zero promotional
budget. With no money available for stamps, he
used to hand-deliver press releases by bicycle.
Trained as a journalist, he first became aware of
the power of the news media when a local paper
refused to print his meeting notices for a
controversial group-but gave extensive news
coverage to its refusal. From this beginning,
Shel gradually developed into a top expert in
effective low-cost, high-impact marketing and
publicity, and has become a copywriter and
consultant with an international reputation.
             He has also been living the virtual
American dream by operating a successful virtual
business owner for the last 13 years -- Accurate
Writing & More -- from a bucolic farm-house
setting in Hadley, Mass. He and his wife, Dina
Friedman, a children's book author and academic,
came to this lifestyle region in the Pioneer
Valley of Massachusetts (also known as the "Five
Colleges" region) "as a compromise between
Brooklyn and the Ozarks.” They wanted “fresh air,
clean water and an easy pace. Dina wanted job
possibilities, friends, others of her ethnicity
in the area, so we looked at the intersection of
our needs and came to the Valley," said Horowitz.
             While looking for work, Shel and
Dian started a term paper typing service. Without
realizing it, they were experiencing the ups and
downs of starting a micro virtual business of the
many that will be profiled in Living The Virtual
American Dream. First, they bought a used IBM
Selectric for $176 at a school auction and spent
$12 each on marketing and supplies. Because Dina
found a job first, the business became Shel's responsibility.
"It was a real slow start: $300 revenue in the
first six months, $5,000 in the next year as I
began to figure out what marketing worked and
what didn't. Over time, I shifted from typing to
resumes to marketing materials," all the while
hoping to continue as a freelance writer.
Although he sold 87 articles his first year of
freelancing, he made "a pitiful $2.000 total, so
I decided that freelancing wasn't going to pay
the bills and started developing the business more."
             In time Shel got his first computer
– what he calls his "biggest step toward
viability" -- along with ordering a dedicated
business phone line and starting to list in the
Yellow Pages. By 1987 the business was strong
enough to be the sole support for the family.
Dina now teaches at the University of
Massachusetts out of choice, not because the
business can't support her. In the meantime, Shel
started writing marketing books "as a way to
develop a national clientele for copywriting and
consulting. It worked, but it didn't really
happen until I became active online."
             Twenty-five years later he's still
working at home, but his client lists extends to
Japan, Cyprus, Belgium and beyond. He has no
employees, though he had a "virtual assistant"
for about eight years whom he never met
face-to-face. "From my small platform I've been
able to instigate an international movement
around business ethics; publish and market my
sixth book – Principled Profit: Marketing the
Puts People First,  and create a distinct niche
for partnerships with industry experts," much of
which will be outlined more fully in the branding
and marketing chapters of Living The Virtual
American Dream’s Chapter 5: Colds Calls to the Net – Key Marketing Tool.