[Hidden-tech] Software firms in the valley

Rich rich at on-the-net.com
Wed Jan 24 12:00:25 EST 2007

Charlie Heath wrote:
> How many firms are there in the area with more than 5 software engineers?
> Who are they and what do they do?

I have to assume the  number 5 is arbitrary - we have a mix of people,
some what I would consider 'software engineers', and others a wide variety
of required team members to create and run systems.  If you count our
core of employed most technical
people, I'd put it at 3 this instant -- what tomorrow it will be and if
you add consultants,
all I will say is greater than 5.

That said, few software companies have the majority of people as
'software engineers',
and I know few programmers I would call 'software engineers' -- having
studied the field
since it started being called that and growing up in an engineering family.

> What firms are doing classic software engineering, using a language like
> C++, as compared with web engineering?

I have a serious objection to that distinction - my experience with
systems, says that the serious web systems
are far bigger and more complex than the vast majority of C++ type
systems -- and besides, C++ as a language is irrelevant
in classifying a system as needing engineering.  If you are trying to
distinguish embedded systems from online systems,
maybe C++ is in indicator, although even many of those are done in Java now.
> Who out there is contemplating any sort of technology startup, for what
> marketplace, and what sort of structure?  What are the barriers and
> opportunities that differentiate the Pioneer Valley from other areas?  I've
> got some ideas about these but I'd like to hear other people's ideas.

In any case, I am a serial entrepreneur (at 7 or is it 8 now) with a big
of a cash cow operation looking for interesting
projects -- we have few in the fire.  As for the Valley, being part of
the W Mass Software Assn and then RTA/TEC
and doing a SF restart a few years ago (took a SF Public company, moved
to a more viable web environment, sold
result) and having a fair number of Boston and Bay area contacts - I am
pretty aware of the upsides and down sides
of the Pioneer  Valley -- and think overall we have a winning
combination here.

I think this is a good topic to bring to the Java/Python group that Chas
mentioned in another posting, although I can't
be at this Thurs meeting - will be at MIT Enterprise session :)

Let's keep this going - forum or another list ??

--
Rich Roth
CEO On-the-net

Bringing you complex online systems since the net was young
http://www.tnrglobal.com - http://www.on-the-net.com/rr/