[Hidden-tech] web design for the Northampton Survival Center

Charlie Heath chasheath at comcast.net
Mon Jan 22 16:18:32 EST 2007

Consider it this way.  You can do your for-pay work, and donate the funds to
the charity. You're taxed for your work, but you get a deduction for the
full amount you earned.

If you donate a car, you paid for that with after-tax funds to start with.

You do get a better break if you donate appreciated assets; for that, you
don't have to pay the income tax on the appreciation of the assets, but you
do get to deduct the full amount. So the rules are not completely uniform,
things are skewed a bit in favor of those that have, but what else is new?
At least this encourages large donations, albeit they typically are made to
Ivy League schools in departments that don't need the money.

Charlie Heath
Blue Herring Consulting