[Hidden-tech] Backup power

Matt Lampiasi mattl at florenceit.net
Mon Jan 22 14:02:18 EST 2007

Interesting, i never considered bio diesel for fueling generators,
agreed that generator is probably the most affordable way likely.

Jean,
if you get yourself a kill-a-watt meter (very handy thing to have
around) you can plugin any device and see how much power it uses in
realtime and cumulatively. This is wicked easy to use and can help you
add up how many watt hours your essential items need. then you just
multiply how many watt hours the device uses times how many hours per
day (then times how many days you want without power). you can support
CET a local nonprofit by buying the kill-a-watt through their energy
federation storefront, this link gives you a discount of 10% too:
http://www.cetonline.org/Storefront/storefront.htm
this is the cheapest price anywhere:
http://www.ambientweather.com/tdp4400.html (although i have no idea who
they are, amazon sells these too)

You could go on the power ratings on the devices but this will likely
vary a lot compared to actual power usage thats measured. Once you find
out this stuff as Robert mentions then you can size your power
generating capacity. If you decide solar i can give you some ballparks,
though this is not what i do for work, and if you were prepared to lay
out at least a few thousand on solar, a dealer would help you with all
this. (New England Solar Electric and PV2 are two local ones I know of).

I can also mention from experience that most computers (and things like
routers/cable modems) do run fine on the cheap modified sine wave ac
inverters found in computer stores. some things do NOT (most things with
motors and ac radios)

--
Thanks,

Matt Lampiasi, President