[Hidden-tech] Apple v. Microsoft - Part 3,289,426

B. Kimo Lee bklee at azurelink.com
Fri Jan 19 10:14:34 EST 2007

Hi Frank,

Practically speaking, it does come down to what the user is going to
be doing with the system and what software is available for
performing those tasks.
For instance, I do all my creative work on a Mac, but even though
Quickbooks is available for a Mac, my (stupid) bank won't interface
with Quickbooks for Mac. So I do my bookkeeping on a PC. If your
company uses an Exchange server for email, you go with a PC... yada
yada.

But philosophically speaking, my opinion is that across the board
when comparing products, it seems pretty obvious that the Mac product
lines are at another level above what Microsoft puts out, in terms of
overall ease of use, productivity, simplicity, elegance, UI
creativity, etc. Microsoft has gotten a lot better, but each time you
think Bill's troops are catching up, Apple seems to raise the bar.
Apple has taken the drag-n-drop paradigm to new heights with the
extremely responsive touch-screen on the new iPhone. Flicking your
finger fast, scrolls faster. Flicking slower, scrolls slower.
Pinching to zoom in, very cool. I think that brings the very tactile
user interface of the film Minority Report closer to reality.
Someday, we won't have to sit at a keyboard and click a mouse. We'll
just touch things and interact with them, as humans were designed to do.

The cool thing is that underlying all of Apple's slickness is OSX,
based on UNIX, a stable and proven operating system. Does anyone
remember that a while back the US Defense Department had switched to
Mac servers for the defense system network? I never really looked
into it, so if anyone has any info on that, please share it.

Perhaps you said it best regarding "getting from A to Z (hi AmyZ!)
without getting in your way"... and I'm just thinking that Apple is
definitely working with that in mind.

Best,
Kimo