[Hidden-tech] Time to Use the FORUMS!

Michael Muller michael at mullertech.com
Wed Feb 28 00:57:44 EST 2007

Pardon my french but Holy Crap, you're using a QWK mail reader for email?  I haven't used one of those since... 1995. Man o man that brings back memories. I ran a BBS in New York City using TBBS back in 1993-1997 and had fun setting people up with some reader, I can't remember now. It was a pretty good one.

Who do you connect through? The-Spa?  I know Matthew DeJohng ran a TBBS system for a long while. Eventually bought by Crocker, but I don't know if those old servers are still running.

Wow, that's crazy.

Well, not all websites are graphics heavy, and many can be programmed for keystroke access, and I use Eudora and use all the keystroking I can get away with. I agree the mouse (or touchpad) aren't the fastest methods for doing anything except drawing, and they're really lousy at that.

I'm sure the forums will have email hooks. They'd have to.

Anyway, just had to say Wow. I never thought I'd see QWK or REP ever mentioned again.

Mik

>If someone were to implement a QWK interface to the forums, I'd use
>them in a heartbeat, esp. if there was a *well documented* programmable
>interface (not a point-and-click interface -- something I can write a
>script to login and download .QWK from/upload .REP files to).  Reallly.
>I use an 'off-line' Mail/News reader using (FidoNet) QWK techology.  I
>have a (slow & unreliable) dial-up interface, so a graphics &
>formatting heavy forum is a total pain to deal with (way to slow).  I
>also find most (well pretty much all) web-based forums interfaces
>really hard to use.  *I* don't like a point-and-click editor interface,
>have no need to silly markup nonsense (HTML or otherwise).  I am *very*
>used to my (micro-)emacs editor -- my fingers have completely
>memoryized all of the editing keystrokes. If this list 'vanished' I am
>not likely to use a forum instead.  I *probably* won't read the forum
>with any regularity (read: maybe once a week or once a month), unless
>the forum had a 'E-Mail notification' hook.

--------
Michael Muller
Muller Technologies
24 3rd Street