[Hidden-tech] Time to Use the FORUMS!

Tish Grier tishgrier at yahoo.com
Wed Feb 28 09:52:33 EST 2007

Robert Heller <heller at deepsoft.com> wrote:

  No amount of 'grassroots effort to compel ... Verizon' is going to be
effective. Verizon has a protected monopoly. The only time a
grassroots effort was ever effective at compelling a large corp was
with things like boycotts, which can only work if the people in the
grassroots effort were able / willing to get the goods or services from
some other source for only a small increase in cost -- that is they
'voted' with their wallets -- ie the big corp only changed its tune
when the supply of dead presidents 'dried up'. This is simply not
possible with Verizon. We ALL need (land-line) phone service and
Verizon is the *only* game in town when it comes to land-line phone
service. Period. And even if one gave up land-line phone service and
went to 100% cell phone service, cell service is spotty in many parts
of the Pioneer Valley and cellar internet service is even harder to
find.

  Well, this kind of plays to my point--if we don't do something to draw some kind of attention to the situation out here, then we will be left with what will, in a very short period of time--amount to obsolete, "stone-age" technology for connecting to the Internet.  (btw, I do kinda-sorta know what's going on,what the issues are--I may live on the 'net but I do have friends in the outside world :-)  )

  It would be nice to see more discussion on this matter as it effects all of us in the long-run.

T.