[Hidden-tech] Serving/downloading Macintosh .dmg files

Will Loving will at dedicationtechnologies.com
Thu Dec 6 17:55:49 EST 2007

I¹m having a specific problem with Macintosh .dmg files that I¹ve put on my
server not downloading properly. The file is clearly there but when I
attempt to download it via a URL, I get a 404 error. If I take the same file
and compress it as a .zip archive, it downloads just fine. At some point
earlier this year, I was having a possibly related problem where the .dmg
file would start to download but would download as text.

The only happens with files that I¹ve uploaded to my server, not with dmg
files from other sources, so I¹m guessing it has something to do with how
the files are being transferred. The ³download as text² issue would make me
think that the file got uploaded as text instead of binary, but as far as I
can tell it¹s binary. I¹ve tried uploading from both Dreamweaver and a
Vicomsoft FTP client with the same result.

I thought I remembered reading something in the last year about issue with
uploading dmg files, but all my searches have been in vain...  Anyone know
the answer to this conundrum?

Thanks,

Will

Will Loving, President