[Hidden-tech] Home Internet hookup

Chris Hoogendyk hoogendyk at bio.umass.edu
Tue Dec 4 14:00:31 EST 2007

Daniel Belmont wrote:
> Hello All --
>
>   I am considering getting a comcast internet hookup and I have a few
> questions :

Check out Earthlink high speed internet options. They actually
subcontract to Comcast, but their rates, conditions, services are better
in my experience. Of course, I only wanted internet. I don't have a
Television and did not want Cable TV. I later added Earthlink True Voice
and dumped Verizon. So my telephone now hooks through the Cable by VoIP.

> 1) how difficult is it to install ? and what is involved ? if I
> install it myself I save $150 ...

Depends how techy you are. I don't think it was very difficult, but some
people have issues with this sort of thing. They should provide some
fairly straightforward instructions.

> 2) can you recommend a wireless router that works well with the
> comcast hookup ? we are using wireless in my apartment ... also, what
> is involved in configuring that ?

Linksys WRT54G. You can get it from Best Buy, Amazon, ....

Same comments. The manual has fairly straightforward instructions and
there is a web interface to configure it. Be aware that it is easy to
configure it insecurely, and there are many that have been left
insecure. You just have to drive around a neighorhood with a laptop to
see how many you can get into.

You can always get help. But then you are eating into your $150 savings
that you mentioned.

Chris Hoogendyk

-
   O__  ---- Systems Administrator